Sunday, February 24, 2019

Figure Skating

One of my 2019 intentions (or goals) was to become a better figure skater.  I took lessons for two years in 1976 and 1977.  I liked it but I think due to my shyness and general anxiety, I didn't really want to continue, plus my mom had 2 other kids that took skating too and I think it got to be too much.  Fast forward to this past December when my work did a fun family skate.  I really enjoyed it and realized how good it felt to be on the ice and not worried about anything or "in my head" as that is where I seem to spend a lot of my time.

We skated a couple of more times over Christmas and it really twigged something in me.  I started checking into adult skating lessons and found out that I could take them with our local skating club.  They are not true adult lessons, as there are kids (I'd say early teens and a few 10 year olds) but there are a couple of adults too.  It's kind of cool, but my co-worker Randi has also joined in the lessons after seeing a few Facebook posts I made about skating.

After a couple of lessons my coach suggested a new pair of skates would be in order.  That brought me to being fitted with new skates at Blade Runner (which was a two trip process).  My skates had to be ordered and then heat molded to my feet. They are beautiful skates, but the first time I put them on I hated them.  They really hurt and I could not imagine actually skating on them.  I wore them this past Thursday to lessons and it was a little scary getting a feel for the blade.  The right boot in particular hurt like crazy and I formed a painful blister about 30 minutes into the class.  Everyone at my lessons said it will take some time to get used to them.  I was really second guessing my decision to spend $300 on new skates after the pain I was feeling. I decided to public skating today and I must say they are about 75% better than Thursday.  The left foot feels good and the right foot is almost bearable.  My front cross overs and my edge work are coming back.  I did the lunge and several small two foot jumps and they all felt good.

So far (since I am a counter) I have had 7 lessons, and gone public skating 3 times this year.  I'm hoping to get in as many times on the ice before the season ends.


No comments: