Friday, January 01, 2016

Update on 2015 Family Priority Goals

Happy New Year!
With the new year it is time to look back and see how we did with our 2015 Family Priority Goals.

This is what I documented last January:

We don't really make resolutions around here but prefer setting goals.  Something to work towards.

Here they are for 2015 (in red is the update)

Sheri -
Style - have fun with some fashion; invest in others.  I have a fair bit of work clothes, but I would also like to have some fun/play clothes.  I think I have gotten more inspired by feeling that I want to look put together when we go to Fynn's hockey games.  Warm and put together.  Warm is the operative word here. I really did embrace this in 2015 and made some good investment choices for my wardrobe (mostly work pieces but a few casual options too).  My moto was "buy less but better."  Key pieces:  a new dress from Judith and Charles, a cashmere sweater, new ankle boots (a big investment for me) but I wear them about 3 times a week, and a silk top.

Health/Well Being - I was getting regular manicures all fall and it really helped me with stopping my nail / cuticle picking.  My nails were looking really nice.  I haven't had a manicure yet in January and it shows.  I've started picking again, so I need to go in and get that dealt with. I also did well in this regard. Probably too well!  I became hooked on manicures by about September and was getting a new one every 7 days.  I currently have no polish on my nails and I plan to give them a break for a few weeks (and save some money).  Manicures really do curtail my "picking" though.

Fitness - I love my Fit Bit.  If I do nothing else, I am committed to getting 10,000 steps per day.  Most days I manage to do it!  I am also keeping up with my fitness classes 4 days per week. My Fitbit was a constant companion.  It really is the best motivator for helping me keep on track of getting my 10,000 steps.  I can't imagine not having it now.  I highly recommend this if you want to know how many steps you are getting each day. I did continue with my 3-4 fitness classes per week and the odd run with Vic.

Vic - he's still working on his.

Vic and I - we have prioritized a date night - every 2 weeks.  So far we have gone out the past 2 Fridays, so we are on track.  We love movies so it's great if we are able to get out to a good one every now and then. We also took in the symphony.  We started out strong with seeing the odd movie and symphony, but when our babysitter got a job, it really impacted our ability to go out.  We haven't seen too many of the likely Oscar hopefuls, so I am a bit bummed about that.  As Sophie is almost 12, I suspect we will be able to get away for longer stretches of time now.

Home - we have a furniture design plan for our living room that Goodspace did for us in the fall.  It is really lovely and we want to execute on the plan.  So far we have purchased the coffee table from RH and we love it.  We are going slow and only buying what we can afford. This was an interesting one.  With the Canadian dollar taking a nose dive, it really impacted our ability to execute on this plan as many of the items were going to be coming from the US.  We did purchase the floor lamp (because our old one basically fell apart), so I am happy about that.  We also purchased the 2 poufs.  We really do have our eyes on the blinds (Roman Shades) that the plan recommends but again with the low dollar, we have had to really save (and are still saving) for this purchase.

The kids:

Sophie -  might be taking her Royal Conservatory Piano exam in June.  We are working towards that, but will see how it goes.  She is committed to gymnastics, ballet and acro (acrobatics) for the Winter/Spring.  As far as school goes, she received 4 "4s" on her last report card, and I know the goal is to maintain that, if not improve.  Sophie has a lot to be proud of in 2015.  She completed with Distinction her first piano exam and she has another one scheduled for later in January. She received 8 4s on her last report card, so she is definitely working hard.  The big highlight for 2015 was her opportunity to attend the Royal Winnipeg Dance Intensive in Winnipeg in August.  It was a huge growing experience for her.

Fynn - hockey and piano.  And trying to keep up with his weekly French dictee (getting 7/7 is the goal). Fynn continued on strongly in hockey.  He had a good season and he left him wanting more, so he enrolled in the 2015 / 2016 Novice Year 2 session.  Piano is a small part of his weekly routine, as he tags his lesson with Sophie's.  He's not too motivated with it, but at least he is getting so musical training.

Travel - we are thinking of Winnipeg in the summer and our 25th wedding anniversary special trip - hopefully to London!  It would be a dream :)  2/2 on this goal!  We did make it to Winnipeg (and very fun to have our friends Bryan and Patti join us for a couple of days) and Vic and I enjoyed our anniversary in London.  It really was a dream come true!  I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend our 25th.

That's it for now.  I will post back in a few months with our progress to date.  I will create a fresh post about what our 2016 intentions hold.

No comments: