Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Thinking about planning for 2014

I am in major planning mode at work right now. We are doing detailed annual operating plans, plus a more general 4 year plan where I map out the big buckets of HR work that go into strategic projects over the next 4 years to help our company reach our vision. Big picture stuff but if you start plotting out the details it becomes much more real and you realize that even 4 years is not a lot of time to get things done -- which again is why planning is so important.


Each year I take a more planning orientation to my life, and the life we lead at home. I really take a "let's move the marble forward each day" approach with the kids. Whether it is completing the next class in swim lessons, moving forward in piano, learning a new skills or mastering a chore, it is all about progress.

I think what I need to help me get more out of life for next year is to do more pre-planning. I have been really thinking about this lately. I hate spinning my wheels.

Either way, I have chunked my goals (yet to be established) into 3 lists:

1. What do I want to learn/get better at?
2. What do I want to do more of?
3. What value do I want to honor and what fulfills me?

Stay tuned....

No comments: