Tuesday, July 19, 2011

balance


I was reading a blog I love about how working moms find balance. I enjoyed the questions that were asked of the moms, so I tried them on myself.

1. What's your work schedule?
I work 8:30 - 5:00pm Monday - Friday. I also work from home as needed in the evenings. It doesn't happen that often but likely 1-2 evenings a week I am reading emails or composing a document of some sort at home.

I drive Sophie to her daycare (when school is out) or to her school during the school year by 8:00am each day. She is still a stickler for time, so I try to get her out the door to reduce her anxiety in the a.m. Vic takes Fynn to daycare since Fynn needs a bit more time in the morning to walk up and get going.

2. How do you handle childcare?
Both Sophie and Fynn are in full time daycare. For Sophie it is an after school program that is run through the same daycare as Fynn's. Both kids have been going there since they were 1. We love our daycare. We are very fortunate to have a good one. It is not cheap -- not crazy expensive either, but still a significant expense each month.

3. Where do you work during the day?
From my office at work.

4. What do you like best about your current set-up?
That I know the kids are well looked after, entertained and educated during the day by people who are competent in childcare. Sophie is thrilled because her group is going to Wendy's for lunch tomorrow.

5. What do you find so-so/tricky/hilariously bad about your current set-up? What would you love to change if you had a magic wand?
The scheduling if Sophie or Fynn has an appointment or an activity. Sophie was in ballet and had French tutoring twice per week last term. That was enough to almost put me over the edge as it meant one of us had to pick her up from school (instead of her taking the bus) and then drive her back to her daycare. It was a bit harried.

6. What's your favorite part of your work?
The challenge, the great people I get to work with. The work itself is also very good and rewarding (Human Resources).

7. What's your favorite part of your home life?
Time with Vic after 9pm. Library evenings (Friday) with the kids. I am also enjoying Sophie's french tutoring that is happening at home on Monday evenings. I can sit at the kitchen table and listen and be part of it, but also do some of my own work too. It's actually quite calming.

8. How do you and your husband fit your marriage to the balance?
We try to go and see the odd movie -- sometime it is hard to get a sitter, but we do our best. We are also hooked on Nurse Jackie so that is our guilty evening pleasure.

9. Do you have time for yourself?
Every few months I will get a pedicure and Vic and I have an unwritten life rule that we are each entitled to exercise/fitness time. So, we don't really compromise on that front. He gets more fitness time in than I do, but that likely will shift as the kids get older and I'll have more time for runs and walks. I also read like crazy so as long as I have a book to read at night, I'm happy.

10. What advice would you give to other moms about how to balance work and life?
Life is not neat and tidy. One foot in front of the other. Keep moving the marble forward.

1 comment:

Mary Jo said...

That is a fabulous list of questions!
And it was fun reading your answers.
I haven't worked since Erin was born, and I still find that balance is hard to achieve at times.

A radio talk show here had a Question of the Day recently that irritated me so badly. "Who is more stressed? Working moms or SAHM's?"
And it just made me think that a topic like that is always so explosive. But my thinking is that all women have stresses. Men, too!! :)
And instead of trying to pit women against each other, providing more support is what we need! A great question could be, "what do you do to reduce stress in your life?" :)
Then everyone would be calling in sharing tips and it would be more positive.
Maybe I will email that radio station! :)

Although I will honestly say, Sheri, that there have been many a morning (especially when someone is sick) that I have been glad not to "have to" be somewhere. So I would probably have answered that "personally, even though I am a SAHM, I think the WM's have a lot more outer stress to deal with."
It's interesting to see it from different perspectives!